By Gustavo Arias Retana/Diálogo June 21, 2019 In late March 2019, the Ecuadorean Navy detected 245 Chinese fishing vessels in their maritime border, near the Galapagos Islands. The situation, far from the first incident of its kind, put the country on alert. Chinese vessels fish indiscriminately, taking advantage of insufficient surveillance in the area to decimate the marine fauna. Ecuador had already detected 60 Chinese industrial fishing vessels near the Galapagos in 2018. In 2017, authorities intercepted cargo ship Fu Yuan Yu Leng 999 inside a marine reserve. The ship was carrying 300 tons of shark fins, hammerhead sharks, and silky sharks. The crew was prosecuted for environmental crimes. Other countries, such as Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Mexico, Peru, and Uruguay have also suffered from voracious Chinese fishing in their seas. Juan Carlos Sueiro, head of the international nongovernmental organization (NGO) Oceana, said the problem is growing in Latin America, and authorities’ response is weak. “These Chinese vessels work in the same way: they fish in international waters, near the maritime border of Latin American countries,” Sueiro told Diálogo. “Almost every country has detected Chinese vessels entering their waters illegally. It’s not new and happens on a daily basis.” Rodrigo García Píngaro, head of the Organization for the Conservation of Cetaceans, an Uruguayan NGO, said that Chinese vessels fish regardless of species’ endangered status. They seek mass shoals and prey for species that garner high prices in Asia for their alleged medicinal effects. Some of the most affected species are the giant squid, cod, tuna, black hake, shark, and the totoaba. “China is hungry for seafood that can’t be found in other seas; here there are still stocks of valuable fish,” García told Diálogo. “They use ghost nets to catch everything without distinction, whatever species they can, hoping they’ll be well paid.” Ghost nets are nets left behind by fishermen, or lost in the high seas. Marine Destruction Guillermo Caille, executive director of Natural Patagonia Foundation, says that the situation in Latin America is part of a systematic attack China conducts in the world’s seas to sustain the Asian nation’s consumption and exports. In its 2018 report, “State of World Fisheries and Aquaculture,” the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations said that China is the main producer of fish and fish products worldwide, and, since 2002, the main exporter. This not only implies that the Asian nation seeks areas rich in resources to meet its needs, but also intends to set up logistics bases, such as ports, shipyards, and fish processing plants near areas to be exploited. In Latin America, for instance, Chinese company Shangdong Baoma intends to develop an economic free zone with a port, shipyard, and processing and packaging plant for frozen fish in the region of Punta Yeguas, east of Montevideo, Uruguay. The company seeks to begin construction before the end of 2019. “The main reason for China to attempt to develop the port in Montevideo is that these fleets lack a fishing base on land, outside Asia. They depend on foreign companies to repair their fishing vessels, stock and supply, as well as planning for and making their captures. This causes loss of efficiency and benefits, which increases production costs,” says the NGO Oceanosanos in its report, “Background on the Chinese Terminal Investment Project at Montevideo Port 2016-2019”. U.S. Support Faced with the Chinese threat, the United States supports Latin American authorities to avoid greater damage to the ecosystem. For example, the Ecuadorean and U.S. navies conducted exercise PASSEX in the Pacific Ocean on November 22, 2018, which focused on preventing, dissuading, and eradicating illegal fishing. “Combating unreported, and unregulated fishing is a top international priority,” said to the press U.S. Navy Commander Jamie Hopkins, commander of the USS Wayne E. Meyer, one of the vessels that participated in the exercise. “It’s a worldwide problem estimated to cost the global fishing industry billions of dollars a year.” However, the fight is not an easy one. China is decimating marine species and seeking to expand onto land by setting up ports and fish processing plants. Confronting China’s intentions requires a regional commitment to increase surveillance and prevent the Asian country from destroying the marine resources in the region.
Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York John BeaumontA man was arrested for stabbing his 57-year-old brother to death in their father’s West Babylon home where all three live on Saturday evening, Suffolk County police said.Officers responded to their Densfield Road after John Beaumont, 54, called 911 to report that he stabbed his brother, Thomas, during an argument while their father was home at 5:33 p.m.., police said. The father was not injured.Thomas Beaumont was taken to Good Samaritan Hospital Medical Center in West Islip, where he later died.John Beaumont was charged with second-degree murder. He pleaded not guilty Sunday at First District Court in Central Islip.
Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York A 34-year-old motorcyclist was killed in a crash with an SUV in Bellmore on Sunday afternoon.Nassau County police said the motorcyclist was riding a Harley Davidson westbound on Merrick Road when he collided with an eastbound Mazda SUV that was making a left turn into the shopping center at Winthrop Avenue at 12:13 p.m.The victim as taken to a local hospital, where he was pronounced dead .Neither the other driver nor her passengers were injured. The victim’s identity was not immediately released.Homicide Squad detectives found no apparent criminality and impounded both vehicles.
Consumers say posting too often is the most annoying thing that brands do on social media, according to recent research from Sprout Social.The report was based on data from a survey conducted in July 2016 of 1,022 social media users in the United States.Survey respondents say the most annoying actions that companies take on social media are sharing too many posts/promotions (57.5% cite), using slang/jargon (38.4%), not having any personality (34.7%), trying to be funny when they’re not (32.3%), and not replying to messages (24.7%). continue reading » 6SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr
Zan Vimbela (l) has been ruled out of the 2021 Vitality Superleague season after suffering a knee injury in South Africa Vimbela, who was confirmed as a returnee earlier in the off-season, suffered the injury while on duty at the recent TNL tournament in South Africa and scans have confirmed the extent of the problem.A ruptured ACL will require surgery and a significant rehabilitation period that means she will not be ready for the Superleague season, which is due to get underway in February next year.- Advertisement – – Advertisement – South Africa international Vimbela dazzled during the curtailed 2020 season and had returned for the Scottish franchise but a ruptured anterior cruciate knee ligament will keep her out of action Last Updated: 06/11/20 12:31pm – Advertisement – Now TV now just £25 a month Save over 25% and grab a NOW TV Sky Sports Month Pass for just £25 a month for 3 months. Cancel anytime – Advertisement – Strathclyde Sirens’ star goalkeeper Zan Vimbela will miss the 2021 Vitality Superleague season after the franchise confirmed she suffered a serious knee injury.Squads for the new season were finalised last Friday when the deadline for registrations closed amid a flurry of activity from the franchises, but Sirens’ news will be a blow to the team.
After a week of attempting to rescue a crocodile trapped in a motorcycle tire in the Palu River, Central Sulawesi, Australian presenter Matthew Nicolas Wright has excused himself from the rescue mission despite the lack of progress in saving the animal.The presenter had to return to his home country as his work permit to participate on a local rescue mission with a wildlife rescue team to save the trapped crocodile expired.“Give the [crocodile] a rest. We’ll be back soon to continue operations,” Wright wrote on a caption of video uploaded to his official Instagram account, @mattwright, on Monday. “Thanks [for] helping us. We’re happy to work with you. See you soon mate,” BKSDA Central Sulawesi wrote on its official Instagram account, @bksdasulteng, on Monday.The agency added that the rescue team would continue to monitor the crocodile and carry out rescue efforts if necessary.BKSDA Central Sulawesi rescue team leader Haruna said the efforts to free the trapped crocodile from its rubber shackle would continue, although the two Australian experts had gone back to their home country.Read also: See you later, alligator: Crocodile rescue contest in Palu cancelled as no takers emerge“However, the rescue operation might not be as intensive as before. We’ll try to attract the animal’s attention first so his behavior won’t change significantly,” Haruna said on Monday, as quoted by kompas.com.He added that the team would give the animal more space because they had hunted and chased it for several years. The team worried that an extensive rescue effort would stress out the crocodile, prompting it to attack other crocodiles or surrounding communities.Haruna said he would not invite more people, especially non-experts, to take part in the upcoming mission, as it would pose big risks to those involved. (syk)Topics : The Australian presenter also appreciated members of the rescue team in the video who had been working together with him in the rescue mission.Read also: ‘We are up to plan D or E’: Australian rescuers still have no luck catching crocodileBefore returning to their home country, Wilson and Wright had carried out various tricks to attract the crocodile’s attention, including hanging a living duck from a drone that was later flown over the crocodile. Such tactics, however, failed to attract the crocodile, which swam away before disappearing without a trace.BKSDA Central Sulawesi admitted that Wright’s role during the rescue mission had been substantial, especially in providing training to members of the rescue team on how to tame wild animals without hurting them. Fellow crocodile observer, Chris “Willow” Wilson, also joined earlier this month with the team formed by the Central Sulawesi Natural Resources Conservation Agency (BKSDA Central Sulawesi). Wilson returned to Australia on Saturday.The 4-meter-long crocodile, regularly spotted swimming in the Palu River, has had a used motorcycle tire stuck around its neck for years and has foiled repeated rescue attempts from various parties.Wright said he promised to come back to Palu in May after setting up new strategies, while adding that the crocodile was in a healthy state and his condition would not be threatened by the tire stuck around its neck for at least a few years to come. In the video, he said he was planning to meet several parties in Australia to set up new plans as well as technologies to catch the crocodile.
“We received the results earlier than expected. We received information from Jakarta that the result is negative,” Tomasoa said. “We have yet to receive the written results, but we received the information directly from the lab.”Edwin said BN was in good condition and that the 19-year-old no longer showed symptoms of being sick.Read also: University student becomes first suspected case of coronavirus in Maluku“He is no longer having difficulty breathing, he has no fever or back pain as he did before when being treated at the hospital,” he said.BN arrived in the Maluku provincial capital of Ambon in poor health on Feb. 7, following a visit to Malaysia, which has had a number of confirmed coronavirus cases. He has been treated at the Magretty Saumlaki public hospital in the Tanimbar Islands since last Wednesday. (gis)Topics : A university student identified as BN who was quarantined at Magretty Hospital, Maluku, after showing symptoms of the new coronavirus, has tested negative for COVID-19, a local health agency has announced.According to Tanimbar Islands Health Agency head Edwin Tomasoa, tests on BN’s sputum samples sent to the Health Ministry’s laboratory in Jakarta showed that BN was not infected by the deadly coronavirus.He added that he had expected the test to take five days.
A trend has started to develop in pro sports where heavy contact is part of the game. Several pro football players have opted to end their careers early rather than take changes on the lasting effects of injuries such as concussions. In an article in Sports Illustrated, some are also leaving because of damage to their legs and ankles that have left a lot of their predecessors incapable of walking in later life. In hockey most of the injuries that cause players to quit early are concussions.What kind of effect this will have on both of these sports at the collegiate and lower levels is being studied by a lot of doctors. Parents of younger athletes are quite concerned because they see what repeated concussions can do to athletes who stay in these sports for a long period of time. They now know that no concussion really stands alone. In other words, a broken finger heals–but a concussion’s damage is long-lasting and additive. The one you had at 10 and the one you have at 35 are still connected in your brain.What I hope to see is that they use some of those billions of dollars that pro football generates to make football much safer to play.
VERSAILLES, Ind. — Jennifer Schooler, the woman who was on trial for the August 2015 death of her boyfriend’s son, was found guilty on all counts of murder, aggravated battery causing death, and neglect of a dependent causing death.Bradyn Chadwell became unresponsive and was taken to the Cincinnati Children’s Hospital where he died 2 days later.The Hamilton County Coroner’s Office found evidence of extended child abuse including multiple bruises and broken bones.Her sentencing hearing is scheduled for March 20, in which she faces up to 65 years in prison.
Contract talks between the club and Wijnaldum’s representatives are said to have stalled with Liverpool reportedly not willing to table a new deal for the Dutchman at this stage. With just 10 months to go on his contract Wijnaldum is now being linked with a potential switch to Barcelona, where he would play under ex-Netherlands boss Ronald Koeman. Jurgen Klopp is not thought to be keen on losing Wijnaldum who has been an integral part of his squad and the club’s recent successes. However this summer may represent Liverpool’s best chances of receiving a fee for the midfielder, whose role in the side would almost certainly be reduced if Thiago completes his switch. As far as Bayern are concerned the only player who presents an imminent threat of leaving is defender David Alaba, who is also out of contract next summer. Read Also: Anthony Joshua targets Barca switch to replace Lionel Messi Alaba has been attracting interest from Premier League clubs but Bayern CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge is not concerned the 28-year-old will move on. “I can’t imagine by any stretch of the imagination that David wants to leave FC Bayern,” he said. “We have great interest in his staying, and I think he feels good at FC Bayern, too.” FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Liverpool are preparing a bid for Bayern Munich midfielder Thiago Alcantara as club boss Hansi Flick admitted he is braced for some of his stars to leave the club following their treble success. The German club completed their prestigious trophy haul by securing their sixth European Cup against PSG in what is likely to be Thiago’s last game for the club. Ivan Perisic and Philippe Coutinho will also be returning to Inter Milan and Barcelona respectively after their loan spells with Flick now facing the prospect of a mass exodus. Flick told Die Zeit : “[We will] lose some players who have tremendous quality, we have to deal with that. “If I could continue to work with this squad, that would be nice, but that is not the case.” Thiago is the only permanent Bayern star currently looking close to the exit with the 29-year-old expected to leave in the coming weeks. Liverpool have been told they must pay £27million to sign the Spaniard, who has less than 12 months remaining on his contract and has made it clear he wants to leave. Bild reporter Christian Falk claims The Reds are ready to make their approach for Thiago in the coming days to set the wheels in motion for his switch to Anfield. His arrival could accelerate the departure of Georginio Wijnaldum, who as it stands will leave Liverpool at the end of next season. Loading…
- 1 of 20
- <span aria-current="page" class="page-numbers current">1</span>
- <a class="page-numbers" href="http://xcshbxw.cn/kane/page/2">2</a>
- <a class="page-numbers" href="http://xcshbxw.cn/kane/page/3">3</a>
- <span class="page-numbers dots">…</span>
- <a class="page-numbers" href="http://xcshbxw.cn/kane/page/20">20</a>
- <a class="next page-numbers" href="http://xcshbxw.cn/kane/page/2">Next »</a>