Calida alleged ABS-CBN has allowed foreign investors to “take part in the ownership of a Philippine mass media entity” despite being prohibited by the Constitution, through the issuance of Philippine depositary receipts. MANILA – The Supreme Court (SC) has dismissed the quo warranto petition filed by the Office of Solicitor General against the franchise of broadcast giant ABS-CBN. Meanwhile, measures granting a fresh franchise to the network are also pending before the House of Representatives./PN Solicitor General Jose Calida in February asked the Supreme Court to nullify ABS-CBN’s franchise due to its alleged violations such as foreign ownership and illegal pay-per-view. ABS-CBN NEWS The Solicitor General also said the network launched the TV Plus subscription service and the KBO Channel without approval from the National Telecommunications Commission (NTC). The High Court junked the petition of Solicitor General Jose Calida in an en banc session on Tuesday since it is already useless with the franchise in question have already expired in May. ABS-CBN has remained off the air from its usual channels for over a month now – with their request to stop the NTC’s cease and desist order only to be heard by the SC on July 13. Calida previously requested the SC to revoke the network’s franchise for alleged violations of conditions set by Congress when it granted a 25-year authority for the Lopez-owned company to broadcast its content on television and radio. The franchise already expired on May 4, which was also the basis of the National Telecommunication Commission’s shutdown order – an agency which Calida also handled as the government’s top counsel.
Facebook Twitter Google+ Syracuse head coach Ian McIntyre has bought 250 tickets for Sunday’s NCAA tournament second-round game, assuring that the first 250 students who arrive at SU Soccer Stadium on Nov. 23 with their student ID card get free admission.The Orange will play either Hartwick or Penn State. The game will be during Thanksgiving break for SU students, but McIntyre said this was more about making a small gesture to the fans who have supported the team throughout the record-breaking season.“The SU Soccer Stadium has turned into a special place to watch a soccer match,” McIntyre said. “… So just in a small way, it’ll hopefully get some of our supporters in the stands and at the same time, have a chance to say thank you.“I know some of the student body will be heading home so timing’s not ideal from that perspective, but I think our Syracuse soccer community will really enjoy this one.”No. 4 Syracuse (15-3-1, 5-2-1 Atlantic Coast) is the tournament’s No. 9 seed, with the seeding being based on the NCAA’s ratings percentage index rankings and not the official National Soccer Coaches Association of America poll.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textHartwick (6-9-4, 3-1-1 Sun Belt) and Penn State (12-5-1, 5-3 Big Ten) will face off in a play-in game on Thursday at 7 p.m. in University Park, Pennsylvania, a game McIntyre said he’ll catch in person. The winner will play the Orange on 2 p.m. on Sunday.McIntyre added how sometimes the team doesn’t get the chance to interact directly with the crowd, but the players have been able to do so as the program has evolved.Sunday’s game will be the first-ever NCAA tournament game Syracuse hosts and the second postseason game this season. After attracting a program-record 2,533 fans for the ACC quarterfinal against Duke, McIntyre hopes for a similar environment this weekend.“There’s nothing quite like postseason college soccer,” McIntyre said. “That’s the wonderful thing about our sport, the crowd is part of the action, is part of the event. We saw that at the Duke game.“I hope that it’s the same way on Sunday.” Comments Published on November 19, 2014 at 12:19 am Contact Matt: [email protected] | @matt_schneidman read more
Ranks of the Guyana Police Force and Guyana Fire Service were called in to assist in what appears to be aFire Service and Police outside the Camp Street Prision on Mondaystandoff between prison officers and prisoners at the Camp Street Prison on Monday.While information remains sketchy about the incident, Operations Officer of the Guyana Fire Service Compton Sparman, when contacted told Guyana Times firefighters responded to a report of a standoff between prison officials and inmates within the confines of Camp Street Penitentiary.He however noted that by the time they arrived at the location, the situation was under control. He noted that any calls that come from the prison is treated with priority since the recent unrest that claimed the lives of 17 prisoners.Seventeen prisoners were burnt to death on March 3, 2016 after inmates at prison set several fires in protest of the conditions of prison cells. One day after, the prisoners broke down a wooden wall of the prison, again calling for immediate attention.This prompted the intervention of Public Security Minister Khemraj Ramjattan along with State Minister Joseph Harmon to meet with a group of aggrieved prisoners. After the meeting the prisoners halted their protests due the ministers promise to address some of the concerns raised.However, this unrest has led to the establishment of a Commission of Inquiry to determine if the death of the 17 prisoners were due to neglect by the prison officials on duty at the time. So far, at least five inmates have testified, giving their account of what took place on that fateful day. read more